Saturday, May 2, 2015

A Restless Heart

Last week I had coffee with a sweet friend. Meeting for coffee is one one of my favorite things to do, and every coffee date usually begins the same way. You order your coffee, you engage in a bit of small talk, you find a table and sit down, and then someone begins the conversation with the loaded question, “so how are you doing?” Of course, I was prepared to answer, but I was taken off guard when Angela asked me a different question, “so how is your soul?” I sat back, thought for a moment, and then replied with one word, “restless.” As I reflect back over the last 8 months I am amazed (as usual) at God’s goodness and faithfulness. I have learned that as long as you remain connected to him, he will provide you with exactly what you need for each day. To be honest, some days here are tough. I don’t feel like a lot is happening and it is easy to become discouraged. However, when I step back and look at the bigger picture, I can clearly see the Lord’s hand at work — in every interaction, every conversation, every meeting, every kids club, every youth band practice, every mentoring session, every Bible study etc. God is at work here in the Tees Valley, and although my heart is restless to be home, I know and trust that he will give me the strength I need to finish out my time here well. 

Please be in prayer for the weekly Friday night youth event we will be launching in June. Our team is still working through all the details, but we really believe the Lord is leading us to create an environment where our young people will feel comfortable to come and invite their friends to. Our desire is to see kids who have never stepped foot in a church be transformed by the saving power of Jesus Christ. We believe God is going to do incredible things through this event, but we know this will only take place if we are praying continually and seeking the Holy Spirit’s guidance. Pray specifically that we would be able to reach out to the young people who attend the schools we go into each week. Right now, our church work and schools work feels a bit disconnected, but we hope this event will begin to bridge that gap. We want the kids we’re meeting with in the schools each week to have a place where they can go, ask questions, and be surrounded by fellow young people who are following after God. Unfortunately, I will only be here on the front end of this event since I’ll be heading back to the States on July 1, but I cannot wait to hear about how it is growing and developing in the months to come! 

Over the past few weeks, in the midst of feeling restless, the Lord has continued to bring to mind this quote by St. Augustine, “Thou hast made us for thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee.” We were created with a void and a longing that only God himself can fill, and until we acknowledge this, we will always be left feeling empty and discontent. It is so easy for me to become overwhelmed and even dissatisfied with where the Lord has me, and I become very eager to move forward to the next chapter. But each day he patiently and lovingly reminds me that it is only when my eyes are firmly fixed on him that I will be able to experience true rest and peace. And this is my prayer for you as well — even in the midst of difficult or uncertain circumstances, may you find your rest in Christ alone. 

“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” Colossians 3:15       

P.S. Last weekend I had the privilege of teaching at my church's Sunday evening service. Although preaching is definitely not my calling it was a great experience haha! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Bethany for sharing your experiences so we can pray specifically for your ministry. We will lift you up. The Lingor Family loves you.

    ReplyDelete